The Aljafería Palace is the only fortified Islamic palace that dates to the middle ages. The construction works of the palace have been completed in the second half of the 11th century. Being a very well preserved place, today it serves as headquarter of the Aragonese Parliament.
The palace is built on foundation walls of a tower house, which dates back to the Moorish Kingdom in the 9th century. The original building has been expanded and altered many times since its establishment during the Taifa Kingdom in 1065. Especially after the recapture by the catholic kings in 1118 its design was remarkably influenced by the immigrating Muslims and their renowned Mudejar style.