We are used to calling this palace in Warsaw “The Presidential”, however, it has been a seat of Polish presidents only since 1994. This largest palace in Warsaw was also called: Koniecpolski Palace, Radziwill Palace, Lubomirski Palace, Namiestnikowski Palace and Council of Ministers Palace.
Construction of this Baroque-style building began on the orders of Grand Crown Hetman Stanisław Koniecpolski in 1643. After his death, the palace passed from hand to hand of representatives of the Polish nobility. It was a place of public gatherings, feasts, balls, theatrical performances and opera. Meetings of the delegation preparing the treaty on the first partition of Poland were held here. During the Kosciuszko insurrection a military hospital was located here, and on February 24, 1818 the first public concert of Frederic Chopin, who was only 8 years old at the time, took place here.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the palace was bought by the government of the Kingdom of Poland and it was rebuilt in classicist style (this style prevails until today). Surprisingly, the palace did survive World War II largely undestroyed. However, the statue of Prince Jozef Poniatowski suffered during this time, a copy of which was placed in front of the building only in 1965. It was here that the Round Table negotiations talks took place, after which Poland regained its democratic independence.
It is impossible to shorten the history of the Presidential Palace – its significance and functions were so important for Poland that we can only refer you to a more detailed reading of the history of this building. It was here that some of the most important cultural events important to the nation took place. It was also here that Poland lost and regained its independence.